14 March 2012

The Coffee Painters

One summer in my youth, I took art lessons. In class, we learned how to draw things like still life, landscapes, and portraits using pencil, acrylic, and watercolor. Our teacher always asked, "Where is your light coming from?" or "What is the wind's direction?" Aside from understanding the basics of art, I think the greatest lesson I learned was to be  observant of details. 

It's been a while since I took out my sketchpad, but I haven't stopped admiring art -- on sidewalks, museums, and even on-line. I'm sharing a few with you, and the common thread here is that they're all painted using coffee!

Let's begin with painter Cheryl Buerhing from Tennessee who finds inspiration in God's creation:



(the pink shades are made of beet juice & tumeric)

Luis E. Aparicio, based in Puerto Rico, makes these architectural sketches using coffee:




Massimo Bernacchi, an artist based in Pisa, can custom-design portraits:

 Portrait made with Italian coffee by Massimo Bernacchi

 Portrait by Massimo Bernacchi; you have to
smell it to believe that it's made of coffee

Tasmania-based Samantha Dennis prefers instant coffee as a medium for portraiture:



If you have the knack for painting and have some left-over coffee from breakfast, would you like to try out this technique? I think it's blah to TADA!

3 comments:

  1. While I was drinking a coffee at the computer I found a post with some of my portraits.
    Thanks for surprise!!
    Massimo Bernacchi, Pisa (IT)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for visiting my blog Mr. Bernacchi! Your paintings are beautiful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing my paintings, such a delight to see them here.
    Sam Dennis

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are very much appreciated!