26 October 2017

How To: Embroidered Shoes

Hello there! I've got a bonus post for you this week.

It begins with a pair of shoes:

TOMS diy embroidery, hand embroidery on shoes
I've had these for at least 7 years. They're easy to slip on and off, goes with most items in my wardrobe, and are very comfortable. Plus the company's advocacy where "for every purchase, a new  pair of shoes will be given to a person in need" is truly inspiring.

TOMS diy embroidery, hand embroidery on shoes
I wore it too often that a hole eventually developed.

And then I stopped wearing them. I didn't want the hole to get bigger and I was afraid I would be mocked for my ripped shoes. It's not exactly as cool as wearing ripped jeans, right? 

I thought about how I could repair my pair. How could I turn this situation from blah to TADA!

TOMS diy embroidery \, hand embroidery on shoes
And so I drew on them.

TOMS diy embroidery, hand embroidery on shoes
And embroidered them.

TOMS diy embroidery, hand embroidery on shoes, floral embroidery on shoes
One shoe doesn't exactly mirror the other. But the same colors and flowers were used, allowing them to still look cohesive.

TOMS diy embroidery, hand embroidery on shoes, floral embroidery on shoes
The only challenges I had were: (1) too much handling of the shoe made the white pencil marks of the pattern disappear. My remedy was just to draw over. (2) Not being able to make tight knots to finish the stitch because I put the design towards the hard-to-reach toe area.

TOMS diy embroidery, floral embroidery, hand embroidery on shoes
Now, I am able to wear these again. The floral embroidery instantly gave them a second life...TADA!

Please let me know what you think. Thanks for stopping by!

3 comments:

  1. Such a transformation! They look great! I like that each shoe doesn't mirror the other. That makes them even more unique.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to say that this blog really convinced me to do it! Thanks, very good post. shoes

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are very much appreciated!